Sunday, July 20, 2014

Rough Draft- Picture book

Rough Draft

Here is the rough draft of my picture book.

My five year old daughter wanted to help me write my picture book. She gave me the dialogue for the story as well as searching through the images that match the story. I will need to make a few revisions of the story based on my own review of the picture as well as the peer and instructor comments.

Summary
The story is about a queen named Brooklyn looking for the love of her life. She meets a mermaid and an evil witch. The evil witch captures a handsome prince. The mermaid helps the queen find the prince and they live happily ever after.

Illustrations
I used the images from story bird to create my story. I tried to use the images that best fit the words of the story. The images of Queen Brooklyn changes throughout the story because of her adventures and feelings.

Vocabulary
The vocabulary in the story is simple words and sentences. My five year old daughter assisted me in the writing of the story. I would shelf this book in the school age section.

Extending the Text
(I could use suggestions here)

Comparing Literature
I am still searching for books that would relate to this story. The subject areas you could use are
oceans, queens, prince, witches, and fairy tales.

Science
Research the ocean by using non-fiction books. Are mermaids real? Activities: explore with sand, add a fish tank to the classroom,  or count sea animals.

Art
Explore with watercolors, ask children to draw a picture of the ocean or their favorite queen, prince or evil queen.

Dramatic Play
In the dramatic play area, the children can dress-up as a princess, queen, prince, king or evil witch. Another idea is to use puppets to act out the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment